Monday, February 09, 2009

Horrific tragedy

is about the only way I can think to describe what is happening to our neighbours in Victoria. Bushfires I think would have to be one of the scariest things around (I know it is something I am always paranoid about where we live). My heart goes out to all those affected, directly and indirectly - it is such a huge range of people! Obviously the worst affected are those directly involved, the firefighters, police, ambulance etc, those who have lost their homes or loved ones, even their pets. Then of course there are those who have paid the ultimate price with their lives. Not to mention friends, family, workmates, businesses and a whole range of other people where it has a knock on effect. In general though, I really don't think there is anyone it doesn't affect in some way or other - it can just be the feeling of overwhelming sadness one feels for their fellow human being, perhaps it brings back memories for others who have been through a similar harrowing experience. I know it makes me feel an overwhelming sense of sadness and I find it hard to talk about without welling up - I cannot even pretend to imagine what these people are going through.

I hope this tragedy is over soon and pray for the rain that is so desperately needed in those areas. Francesca and Patrick - I know you guys have family in Victoria although I have to admit I do not know what towns - I hope they are safe from the bottom of my heart. To all our fellow SCAers - I too hope you are safe and away from the worst of it although I think it will be a long time before anyone can put this behind them. I do not think any of us will ever forget this in our lifetime.

I have some updates to post but I think I will save that for another time - it really doesn't seem that important at the moment.

No comments: