Sunday, September 28, 2008

I am feeling good about.........

having a nice BBQ dinner with family for my niece's birthday - was a lovely afternoon and evening.
Have to giggle that my other niece's twin 4 year old boys call Uncle Terry 'Poppy' because he looks so much like his brother. Doesn't worry Terry in the least. We don't see Terry's brother apart from if we happen to run into them up the street - sad really. We only met the boys a couple of months ago after not seeing my niece for about 5.5 years. Really glad she is back around again - we missed her. One of the boys wanted to take 'poppy' home - very sweet. (My niece is a single mum.)

Was a little sad and reflective that due to a whole lot of reasons the family is pretty much split now and we don't have the get togethers for special occassions that we used to have. Our nephew was in Dubbo from Wagga but didn't have time to see us (or come and see his sister for her birthday) despite only staying ten minutes away from where we live. He will be back for his sisters wedding in a fortnight so we will see him then. Unfortunately that's just the way things seem to be now.

I find it such a shame that families staying together seems to be an exception rather than a rule - perhaps that is why socially things seem to be such a mess. I am glad that we are an exception in this case! My parents have been married 40 years, Terry's parents are approaching 50 years and we are approaching 17 years. My brother has been married ten years although they have been together 17 years too. Not a bad record ;-) I know there are a whole heap of reasons that people don't stay together and some very good ones - I certainly wouldn't judge anybody - you never now what their situation is! I just find it sad that so many people seem to get divorced nowadays and there are so many split families - it seems to be the norm now rather than the minority. It makes me sad.......

Onto happier things! One more week of work and I get a week off - then the big wedding! I have managed to get my dress almost done this weekend - would have been done except for the hemming if I had not stuffed one of the sleeves up! LOL At least I had enough material to cut another one out. I'll finish it next weekend!

We got the list of 'wanted' photos for the wedding done tonight so that is making me feel a little more at ease ;-) Will take some test shots at the site next weekend in preparation for the big day!

Off to bed now.........

No comments: