Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Kids can amaze you sometimes.......

I was going to post this at LJ but cannot at the moment - I might put this over there too this evening when I get home.

Back to the topic.........I am so proud of my 11 year old! In this day and age when we are constantly asking why our kids don't think things through, Gryffen showed yesterday how much thinking they can do.

As he was leaving school yesterday afternoon, he noticed some Kindergarten kids playing on the 'fort' waiting to be picked up. He saw them pick up a small package from the ground and begin to examine it. (He is in Year 5 and takes being a 'buddy' very seriously.) He went over to see what they were doing and saw they had a small sealed plastic bag (about 2cm x2cm) containing two blue pills. He said to them 'You shouldn't have that because you do not know what it is. Can I have it please so I can give it to the teacher?' Although he did not go to the teacher (it was after hours) he brought it home and put it on the bench and rang me to tell me about it. We went into school this morning to report it but the Principal was not available. We left the bag with the office lady and told her the story. She would tell the Principal and Gryffen could tell his story then. They were going to check the playground to make sure there were no more there. Gryffen also commented that he couldn't just ignore it because he would hate to see something happen to someone because he didn't say something.

OMG! What do you say? I am so very proud of him and told him so. I also told him he absolutely did the right thing! We also talked about it being important that if it happens again he should go straight to the office - Nan would not mind waiting a bit and neither would his brothers ;-)

Just, WOW!

3 comments:

DV said...

That's awesome. Nice work on G's behalf.

Katrijn said...

I know! I mean, I know they are good kids - they have their moments like we all do. It just blew me away that faced with an out of the ordinary situation he reacted really well and responsibly! Go G!

Mz. B.Trousers said...

Ah, you are restoring my faith in humanity!
Thanks for the notice! And well done to him!